Thursday, January 14, 2010

Theory / Rant: Smiling



I find myself unable to not watch American Idol... despite the fact that I find it musically irrelevant. (Was going to say "abhorrent"... but that's probably a bit harsh. It basically doesn't stand for anything musically, for me.) That's fine. I'm still a snob, no doubt, but mellowing.

But, it does make me remember one of my long-standing "rules" about music. At least rock... the performer should not be smiling a lot while singing/playing. If they are, they're too damn happy and should get off the stage.

It's probably not a blanket rule for everything... i'll admit. First thought of this one back when the Barenaked Ladies were popular. At some point someone told me I would like them, so I think Klitt and I saw them at the hatch or something... wow awful stuff. And made worse by all that smiling. Trying *way* too hard. Maybe that's the key -- just be genuine.

I guess it's possible to be genuinely smiley playing rock on stage... but not those guys. Or the Idols, who are obviously coached on performance. Someone backstage there prob told them to "smile alot". Fuck that. Be real.

That being said, I will attempt to smile for the whole show at the next Sneaks performance, whenever that may be.

(Ok, Lou, you can go back to sleep now.)

No comments: